|Team: DC Tri MoCo group|
As the date approached, some were injured, some had plans out of town... and some well, just didn't show up. THESE were the smart people!
As December 3rd approached and packet pickup loomed, I started to have my doubts about this race location. Flash forward to the WORST organized race on the planet... seriously... RAM has taken lots of heat for what happened in DC, even a FB page was created HERE to where everyone started demanding refunds.
Just to break down a few of the logistics errors:
1. Had to pay to park to actually pick up bibs and attend crappy expo
2. Had to pay $10 for parking (and HAD to carpool) only to find out that this premium spot was almost 1.5 miles from the start (meaning you had to walk), free park was right NEXT to start. Not to mention paid parking pass was NEVER even looked at by any parking official - WASTED money.
3. There was only one main entrance to the race location and it caused MAJOR gridlock (as if DC wasn't known for its gridlock) and delayed the start of the 15k by over an hour.
4. Course was very narrow and dangerous... oh and I forgot to mention that they sold over 20,000 race bibs.
5. The chocolate at the end... really was not all that!
You can read more about how bad it was by simply Googling: DC Hot Chocolate 15k Fail.
On a more personal level, this was my first race since my heart "procedure" and it wasn't good. I wanted to stop many times. My energy level just wasn't there (might have been that I fueled for a 8am start time). I almost quit at mile 6. I walked A LOT!
In the end, my time was: 1:33 for 9.10 miles (supposed to be 9.3 but course was short). I finished... but just barely. First 4 mile splits: 7:40, 8:10, 8:30, 8:45..... yeah, last 5 were BAD!
I have a followup appointment this afternoon with cardiologist... I need to get to the bottom of this lack of energy... I got some plans and I kinda need to have my energy back!