John 8:32 "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." NIV

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Dear Non-Runner Friend...

Dear Non-Runner Friend:

I know you cannot understand why I refuse to "party" on a Friday night. Despite being a 34 mother of two  children (meaning not much of a life) who wake up before dawn almost EVERY morning (I found Brock playing with Legos at 4am yesterday like it was 12pm), I *need* sleep before my long runs. And while you are at, Saturdays I will be exhausted too... did you run 10+ miles this morning?

No, I am not running away from anything... well, maybe I am... from the stresses of life... some people eat (use to do that), some people drink (only if I am carb consuming), and others find different activities, but for me... running has restored me. I do enjoy it. It has allowed me to reclaim my individuality (have you seen my running outfits lately) and I have found many successes!

Yes, getting up at 3:30 am to run is INSANE! I am sure almost any runner would admit that too. But for me, I would rather run outside than on a treadmill any day. Soon the snow will come and Milles will be my best friend... but I bet I will still have my workout done before you get up.

It is very difficult for me to have conversations about items other than running, training, aches, cycling, swimming, races - races I want to run, races I have run, races that I am scared to run,... unless you want me to talk about PTA or my children. Running, training... it is like my job. You talk about your job ALL the time...

I know you think it is weird that I talk about my blog friends like I *actually* have met them (only a few). Some of them I feel closer to than my real life friends. Why? Well, they listen. They get me. They understand. They text me at 5am on race day just to say good luck. They stalk me on line to see how I did... secretly cheering me on. And YES, I do the same thing! I know their splits before they do!

No, I am NOT going to stop running, training anytime soon. Why? Well, I like to do it. I want to do it. You choose to party on a Friday night and I choose to start my run at 5am. I don't judge you... so quit judging me!

We're friends still, right?

Great!

Jen

Feelings after an actual conversation I had yesterday with a "friend".

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Hugs! Some people just don't understand.

Melissa Cunningham said...

LOVE it!!!!
yeah,some ppl really dont understand what i have come to call my "dawn patrol"...
waking up before the sun and kids,just to get in a run or workout....
keep doing what you do,chica!!

RunningFromCancer said...

Jen - It is your life afterall! We don't have to justify our decisions to anyone . . . well almost! Only The Lord.

Rene' said...

So get it! xoxoxo!

ajh said...

It is amazing how close we can feel to blog friends. I think some of my friends think I am nuts too.

gba_gf said...

P.S. - my blog friends give me cool Pixie Green names. Just saying'.

Miss you like a skinny b*tch misses chocolate... and how many of your "real friends" have ever said that?

Lisa J said...

LOVE this! feel the same way

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Love!

Blog friends are better than real friends. Unless those real friends are also runners.

Randi S said...

I'm sorry honey! Like you said, you choose to run and they choose to party. And seriously...partying when you have kids...I'm not a fan of that anyway. Like you said, they get up early! Keep it up, you're doing a great job!

kimert said...

Big hugs! So many of us totally get it!

Catey said...

This totally made me laugh because it's so true! love it.
Every part of it! :)