John 8:32 "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." NIV

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Taking one for the team...

I love sports but I am more of a participator than a spectator. It is actually quite difficult for me to sit and watch someone else play a sport. Even when it comes to my children, I find my competitiveness coming out.

On Sunday, my husband (with his knew found interest in baseball) was going to take my children to a Washington National's game. Since I really don't like spectating and of all sports baseball is second to golf as my least favorite (followed closely by tennis), I was excited to have some time to myself. I had planned a possible breakfast date with Bob (before he moves) and a church date with an "old" mentee. But after my phone drown the day before, I had no way to get in touch with these folks. (Learn from me.. back up your contacts on your computer or even keep a written phone book. Honestly, I did not even know my husband's cell number. I just press his picture on my phone and it dials his number.)

So finding myself now free on Sunday and the kids begging to "Take Me Out to the Ball Game"... I decided to take one for the team. Go, spend the day with the family, see:


We had seats in the full sun, thanks to Brock wanting to "catch" a foul ball. Too bad when his only chance came, he was engulfed in his ice cream. We were hot and burning up. Sunblock was applied and re-applied many times. The game took 3 hours and 15 minutes... apparently that is a long game. After the game, the kids lined up to "run" the bases. It *was* fun... for them.

It wasn't all bad for me. I got a pink Nats hat, I got a huge burger and fries, had a beer or three, met a co-worker of my husband's and his family... and best of all, I got to experience this day with the kids. The Nats lost, by 1... Brock "threw" his hat down in protest (where do they learn this stuff?). But it was... fun. After the game, my husband's co-worker who lives like 2 blocks north of the Stadium (can you say awesome?!), took us to a fountain and the kids splashed around in it.

It was a long day. We spent 9 hours away from home and poor Dolce was hungry when we got home. Sometimes, stepping away from our comfort zone helps us grow by leaps in bounds. No, I did not find a love for the game that day, but I did see the love my kids have for it... and do you know what? Maybe, just maybe, their love for the game will spread to me too! Happy Thursday!


3 comments:

*~*~* Tracy said...

Sounds like a long but very fun day!

Baseball isn't my favorite either, but my husband and kids love it so I endure, um enjoy, games with them.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Good family fun! But that would have been some hot seats.

ajh said...

Good post. I would totally agree with you but sounds like a good family day.