John 8:32 "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." NIV

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

1/2 hour makes all the difference

On Monday, I ran 3 miles in 27:58 at 5 am. Today, I ran 3 miles in 29:56 at 4:30 am. I wonder why running a 1/2 hour later would help me run faster. I know I am more awake at 5am but it seemed like I was running fast... except when I had two miles over 10 minutes.

I was running along one street in my 'hood and I passed a guy walking his tiny dog wearing head phones... seriously headphones at 4:30 AM? Then as I ran past one house where the street light was out, a deer scared me to death. Seriously, I ran so fast to get away from it. The deer was eating some flowers and when I approached, it took off towards me and then darted away. I was prepared for the next deer though.

On an interesting note: Bob challenged me to see how much fluid I lose during a run. He asked me to weigh myself without clothes before I set off, not to drink water, and then towel off and undress and see how much less I weighed. During my 3 mile run this morning, I lost 1 lb. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? The reason he wanted to know this was so I can determine how much fluids I should be consuming on my runs.
Have you tried it?

9 comments:

RunningFromCancer said...

Yup - I get the erratic deer scaring me to death every once in a while also. Seriously - it just isn't something you are expecting at that time in the morning.

I have been biking a lot lately and can drop 2-3 lb's during my rides and I am drinking during the ride. Same thing with my run - this morning I weighed myself before and after (although I did drink during my run) and I had lost almost 1 lb.

These hot humid temp's take a lot out of you.

Stay cool . . . if that is possible. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I usually try to do that, except wearing clothes since I weigh and run at a gym (the scale is in the locker room, but I'm not one to just walk around naked weighing myself). It's really not a bad idea- anything that I lose, I try to drink THAT MUCH extra water to rehydrate after the run. It's kinda nice to be a pound thinner, but not cool to be dehydrated so yeah.

Amy Lauren

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Oooh yeah. I lost almost two pounds during Saturday morning's 6 miles. Makes ya think about it! I'm ready for fall.

Marlene said...

Good job on those morning runs! I find it so hard to speed up that early. The legs are still sleeping!

I have never actually weighed myself before & after a run... would be good to know! I don't think I could run 3 miles without drinking, though! (not in this weather)

Catey said...

I never thought much about water loss on runs, just kind of based it on the fact that if I was running 7 or more I knew I'd need water with me.

Having continued running during this pregnancy opened up a whole new world with this though, my running mentor (who runs till the day she delivers) stressed the hydration aspect and making sure to pay close attention to this. I was shocked to see that even at just 4mo pregnant I was losing 2+lbs on a 4mile run-I was shocked! As the temps have increased along with my waistline, it has become a game for me to see how even I can keep my weight from the pre-run weigh in to the post-run weigh in. It will be an interesting thing to keep in mind and readjust after baby arrives....

misszippy said...

I have never tried that, but would love to know...I think I was down a few lbs. after this morning. As to your pace differences--so many things can affect it. But I'll say that today felt that much more humid even than earlier in the week, so that may have slowed you.

Felice Devine said...

Deer always scare me!
Interesting about the fluid loss.

teacherwoman said...

I have tried the water/weight test on my long runs when I was training for a half marathon....and that was with the water/juice I would drink while running. Very interesting indeed. Helps us realize that we definitely need to replenish the water we lose!

Lindsay said...

I have heard about doing that but haven't tried it myself yet. I can definitely see the importance of knowing how much to drink, especially in these warm months.