John 8:32 "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." NIV

Monday, November 28, 2011

In Laymen's terms...

Most of the comments from my last post expressed concern about what all of that means. Can I still run? Am I fixed? Will it come back?

Here is the deal:

I basically had two "wires" and we are supposed to only have one. The pair (I was born with them) would cause a circuit causing me to go into tachycardia without a known trigger. (Some people it is cold air, coffee, coughing... etc, I did not have a clear trigger). Dr. S, went in and "zapped" the "weaker" one so I won't have a circuit anymore.

Am I fixed? Yes... but I wonder why God gave me 2... what if the other one "craps" out one day... but I have FAITH it was the right decision?

Can I still run? Yes... but have to take it easy. I ran 6 yesterday... yeah, I know, I wasn't supposed to. I felt weird. Maybe I was hyper-sensitive. Not sure. What I do know was that my heart was racing:

1. Could have been that I was clocking 7:40 miles - my legs had a week break
2. I over dressed and was burning up - think UA cold gear top and it was 45 degrees (stupid mistake)
3. Could be that my heart always races, I was just freaking out.
4. I was light headed - but was that because I was too hot and was running too fast?

I ran 6 miles in 48:45... CRAZY fast for me. I went home instead of running 12 more.

Will it come back? No, unless I am super-human (which I know is debatable)!

If this has taught me ANYTHING... it would be to LISTEN to your body! LISTEN! If something feels wrong, get it checked out.

7 comments:

Caratunk Girl said...

Phew. Glad that things seem to be "fixed" and that you got to go for a run!!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Wouldn't it be so great if we could know the "whys" of things right when we want to?! Maybe you were to interact with someone through that process so that you could have an impact on them. Or maybe it was just simply an extra "wire." It sure will be cool when we get to know all those answers.
For now, super cool that the removal of that extra wire has now made you bionic! Pull back those super human legs and let that heart ease back.
Great example in listening to your body!!

Carrie said...

Glad to know it won't come back!

Good luck going forward. Hope you can relax and ease back into some stress-free running!

oldrunningfox. said...

So glad everything turned out all right for you and, as Shellyrm says, it appears to have made you bionic. Wish I could run so far so fast!
And thanks for the advice to listen to our bodies and get things checked out. I might throw the pain-killers away and do just that.

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

It's so easy to "what if" and "why" the heck out of a situation like this, but you did the right thing! So glad you're fixed! :)

gba_gf said...

take care of yourself...

and relax about the mileage. you & I both know you are trained. I read the coolest thing the other day. I need to write a blog post about it. It basically says a well trained runner can take 7 - 10 days OFF COMPLETELY with no loss of cardiovascular fitness, and 5% decrease in muscle coordination. A >5% decrease can be made up in 3 quality workouts. THREE. Isn't that amazing. Huh, I just hijacked your blog.

Anonymous said...

glad to hear the doc addressed it..now let's just hope you continue to stay acutely aware of how you're feeling and doing and etc