John 8:32 "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." NIV

Sunday, November 27, 2011

I'm alive...

It was successful. I lived (kind of obvious now, right?). I had a nice Thanksgiving (even traveled to NC and back).

Before
So, what happened? I arrived at the hospital. Not a sexy patient, huh? While getting prepped, I overheard the nurses talking about my doctor and they said: "Oh, he is the best, technically! He is really good, precise." And I thought, "Well, I technically deserve the best, right?"

Soon, Dr. S was in and briefed me, Lyle and I had our questions answered and I was being pushed away to the ROOM. The ROOM was freezing. The "guys" in there were funny. One warned me that the "pads" they had to place on my back were cold... and he wasn't lying. He started at the top of my back, and slowly placed them down my back to right above my "bottom". That is when I said, "Hey, I think you need to tell me your first name, that is almost 1st base." Then he laid me down and placed much smaller ones all on my chest area.  I said, "Now, that's 2nd base." The anesthesiologist injected his "juice" in my IV and I said, "Should it sting?"

Ready to go home!
That's all I remember. I don't remember his answer. I don't remember talking to the doctor after. I don't remember calling my children at school and talking to them. I don't remember any texts I sent (did you get one?).

Diagnosis: Atrioventricular Nodal Reentry Tachycardia (AVNRT)

"AV nodal reentrant tachycardia (AVNRT), or atrioventricular nodal reentrant tachycardia, is a type of tachycardia (fast rhythm) of the heart. It is a type of supraventricular tachycardia (SVT), meaning that it originates from a location within the heart above the bundle of His. AV nodal reentrant tachycardia is the most common regular supraventricular tachycardia. It is more common in women than men (approximately 75% of cases occurring in females). The main symptom is palpitations. Treatment may be with specific physical maneuvers, medication, or rarely Synchronized cardioversion. Frequent attacks may require radiofrequency ablation, in which the abnormally conducting tissue in the heart is destroyed.

AVNRT occurs when a reentry circuit forms within or just next to the atrioventricular node. The circuit usually involves two anatomical pathways: the fast pathway and the slow pathway, which are both in the right atrium. The slow pathway (which is usually targeted for ablation) is located inferiorly and slightly posterior to the AV node, often following the anterior margin of the coronary sinus. The fast pathway is usually located just superior and posterior to the AV node. These pathways are formed from tissue that behaves very much like the AV node, and some authors regard them as part of the AV node.
"

From a great partner who gets me!
Recovery: I was told I couldn't run until Monday. I had to take it easy for 48 hours. It was hard. I had a lot of stuff to do and thank God I wasn't cooking Thanksgiving dinner. I rested the ONLY way I know how... just when the pain was unbearable.

It was definitely a THANKFUL Thanksgiving. My mother-in-law asked us each to write a Haiku to share at the table. Here is mine:

Sometimes to be strong
It takes a little shocking
Thankful for that beat

8 comments:

Stacy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacy said...

Glad your procedure was successful and you're doing well. I can't believe you can start running again tomorrow. I really enjoy your blog; thanks for sharing your love of running and your faith at the same time. :)

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Glad everything went fine. But what does that all mean? I'm emailing you.

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

And so that's it? What they did took care of it? Nothing else to do and it won't come back?

RunningFromCancer said...

Glad that the procedure was successful.

Bet you are anxious to get running.

Caratunk Girl said...

I am so thankful that the procedure was successful!!! What does this all mean for the future - is it fixed?

Rose (Hacker Half Marathon) said...

So glad to hear the procedure went well. Hopefully you'll be out running safely soon :)

Carrie said...

So glad to hear from you! And ditto the other posters -- does that mean you're okay now, or could it come back?