John 8:32 "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." NIV

Saturday, June 11, 2011


After the Brick, courtesy of Kiera.
This morning my training plan called for a Brick. I used to do a lot of bricks because they really worried me, but TG said that I didn't need to do too many of them (of course this was all before I was following a plan).

I had to ride for 1 hour and 30 min and run for 30 minutes. Since we have had "feels like" temps above 100 degrees, I decided I would head out as soon as the sun was up. 5:15 am came early and to my surprise it was light out already. I quickly dressed in my "fancy" and free trisuit (since I wanted to try it out before Philly). Since it was slightly breezy, I decided to where my nightlite Brooks wind coat. It also makes me feel safer. I headed out on my normal hilly route. Plan was to go out 45 minutes and turn around. I debated about whether I should stop my watch at the lights, but determined I would not and just maximize my effort. The ride out felt great and it ALWAYS feels tough coming home, but in places (hills) where I typically go 10mph or slower I was going 12-13mph. I was nervous that my legs would be shot for the run, but tried to think positive.

I put my gears in low and increased my cadence the last mile so my legs would be ready for the run. I think it really worked. Total ride: 23.1 miles

I hoped off, shed my Brooks jacket, took my garmin off the bike, changed my shoes and grabbed my new handheld Nathan palm bottle. I was back out in less than 3 minutes.

My legs felt great. Too great actually. My pace for the first 1.2 mile was 7:30. I told myself to slow down but never really managed much lower than 8 minute miles which does bother me. I do not think I could have maintained that intensity for 6.2 miles... but I guess I will find out in Philly in 2 weeks.

Around 18 minutes into the run, I fell. Out of the blue. I did not trip. I did not feel off balance. I mean, I blinked and was tucking and rolling. My elbow and new handheld took the brunt of it... and I feel like a baby with a little scrape on my elbow. I spent the next mile thinking: "What just happened?" Thankfully all of the people I knew who were leaving the hood to go to swim team time trials passed me just before I fell. There was a nice lady walking her really old dog that just stared at me... but for the life of me, I have NO IDEA what happened.

I feel fine, besides my elbow. Total run: 3.7 miles in 30 minutes

I did take some mental notes about the Brick that I would like to figure out before Philly:

1. How do I get my lady parts comfortable with the ride? I used CHAMOIS BUTT'R for the first time today and really... it didn't help at all.

2. How do I hydrate on the ride? I took two bottles with me and took two sips at a stop light, but I cannot figure out how to ride and drink. I think I may be too clumsy.

3. How do I slow down on the run when I first get off my bike? I mean, really? 7:30 this morning? Too fast. Maybe this will work itself out after the swim and bike, I may not have the energy.... but I would rather be conservative in the beginning and let it go the last mile of the Tri.

The DC Tri MoCo group was going 62 miles this morning... I was SOOOO tempted... but I decided I *needed* to follow my plan. Boooo!


ajh said...

I don't know the answers but I want to know them. I have my first duathlon tomorrow and I am such a newbie with no clue.

H Love said...

you are a lady on a mission. so glad you are OK...random fall?

XLMIC said...

No advice, unfortunately :( But glad you are okay after that falling weirdness! And I'll bet you are going do amazingly in Philly.

Lisa said...

#1 - partly is time in the saddle. I'm working on that right now myself. ouch.