John 8:32 "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." NIV

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Week 3 - P90X

I never did post my goals for the week... and no body reminded me, so I will post them today.

Week # 3 of P90X starts today:

Wednesday: Chest & Back, Ab Ripper X
Thursday: Plyometrics; run 3-5 miles
Friday: Shoulders & Arms, Ab Ripper X
Saturday: Yoga X (finish it); run 4-6 miles
Sunday: Legs & Back, Ab Ripper X
Monday: Kenpo X - run 5 miles
Tuesday: X Stretch (rest)

As for last week, what is in green was completed and red was what was added:

Monday: P90X - Kenpo X
Tuesday: P90X - X Stretch; run 3-5 miles
Wednesday: P90X - Chest & Back, Ab Ripper X
Thursday: P90X - Plyometrics; run 3-5 miles
Friday: P90X - Shoulders & Arms, Ab Ripper X
Saturday: P90X - Yoga X (finish it); run 4-6 (3.5) miles
Sunday: Rest - Legs & Back, Ab Ripper X
Monday: Kenpo X, ran 4.5 miles
Tuesday: X Stretch


So I think I deserve better than last week's "C". I'll give myself a "B+" for P90X (although I did all of the workouts, I could have given it more intensity) and a "B-" for the running.


I did not make it to the gym yesterday to run on the mill because I went to a church dinner. And tonight, I have the Ash Wednesday service, so I will be cranking those miles out later in the week when hubby comes home.

Check out our icicle. Hubby wants me to take it down, but my son wants to see how long it gets (hopefully without pulling the gutter off). Brock wakes up everyday to go and check it. It is currently longer than he is tall.



Also, since Lent starts today, I thought I would share what I am giving up and what I am adding.

  1. Scale - I have been weighing myself everyday. It is taking over. so, good bye for 40 days.
  2. FaceBook - I spend way to much time on there and I do not even play those silly games. I hope I do not miss out on too many giveaways since I won't be able to become a fan on FB for 40 days - auf Wiedersehen
  3. Cell phone email and texting - I have a really cool phone thanks for my friend A. I can surf the web, send and receive email, text... etc. Well, I am always on my phone (even guilty of checking email while driving - thankfully, I have smart children who tell me to stop). People try to have converstaions with me and it rings, or beeps, or make some sort of noise to let me know "I got mail!" So, Zai Jian! (I will try to only use my cell phone for emergencies... not just to chat with people).
  4. Television - I know this is crazy since the Olympics is on and all of the series I watch are in full swing... but there are ALWAYS reruns... and as for the Olympics, I will just have to settle for the results. Dasvidania ole telly!
  5. Friday's meals - Yes, I am going to fast on Fridays. Since I work at a church, I celebrate my Sabbath on Fridays... so for 4 weeks, I will not eat on Fridays. I will drink water and if I am getting dangerously light headed, I will eat a small amount of bread. I have fasted before, but usually just one meal. Obviously, I won't be running on Fridays. AdiĆ³s Friday meals.

So, what am I adding? Reading - I have many books about youth ministry and ministry that I just haven't been able to find the time. Now, I have plenty! I will be reading in no particular order:

  1. Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell
  2. It's Not about Me by Max Lucado
  3. Listening for God by Marilyn Hontz
  4. Enjoy the Silence by Robbins and Robbine
  5. Divine Obession by Rob Hensser
  6. Second Guessing God by Brian Jones
  7. Deep Ministry in a Shallow World by Chap Clark and Kara Powell

Are giving anything up for Lent? Are you adding anything? How are you experiencing the season of Lent?

14 comments:

Marlene said...

You are giving up so much - good for you!

Also, great job on all the workouts. No rest days??

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Wow you are one focussed lady!! I love love the icicle.

Hmmmm..I don't usually do Lent, but I should think about something. Maybe sugar cookies, lord knows I have eaten my weight in sugar cookies lately.

Jocelyn said...

That icicle is nuts! Hope no one gets underneath it and gets hurt!
You are giving up a lot for Lent. Dang. I like the scale one, thats a good one to give up. I am not Catholic so I will not be giving up anything, but I do like the idea of cutting back on things overall. Every year around this time I think about what I would give up if I was Catholic. I think sweet things would be up there on the list.

saundra said...

Cool icicle!
I am adding additional prayer and meditation for Lent. I will check out your book list, I think. I worry that trying to give up a food will lead to binging later so I never try that.

The Rob Bell book is really good. But I am biased on that. I listen to all Mars HIll services online and try to catch as many "Noomas" as I can.`

Kirsten said...

Wow! That is some list! Kudos to you for making such an effort. I'm only a tiny bit worried about the fasting on Friday's. It's none of my business, your decision completely, but keep in mind that whatever type of workout you choose for Saturday will be greatly affected by the fuel you give your body on Friday. Just a thought, no ill feelings please, take it like a grain of salt. Love you girl! So so proud of you and all of your accomplishments!

Jen said...

Thanks everyone on your comments. Kirsten: I will take the Friday fasting and Saturday workout into consideration and change my "long run" day. Thanks for the advice!!!

Also, I am not Catholic... I consider myself a Christian but I attend a Methodist Church. I like the idea of giving something up during this time of year. I was raised Catholic (until 8th grade anyway), so maybe that is why. I also like the idea of adding something which is why I am doing that too... I'm just and over achiever.

karen@fitnessjourney said...

Wow, you are giving up a lot. The Mom in me is worried about you fasting on Fridays for the whole day.

gba_gf said...

First off - I love that you're not Catholic and still "doing" lent. I do it every year, much to my husband's dismay. This year I am giving up 40 bags to charity. Every day I'm going to give something away to good will, the food bank, or a charity. I have enough junk in this house, I can pull this off. We also give up meat (all meat, even fish) on Fridays, which is no loss in my opinion - we eat too much meat here at Chez Moi.

Secondly, I wanted to share with you... well, go check my BLOG. The improbable has happened (running has taught me that nothing is impossible)... http://nofsahmof3.blogspot.com/

Finally, P90X is awesome. I'm on DAY 3. Yea, so you're a few weeks ahead of me, but thanks for keeping me inspired. I have YOGA X today and looking forward to it.

teacherwoman said...

I like the idea of posting goals each week and tehn reflecting back on what you did, didn't do, and added! I might have to "steal" that from you! :)

I too should give up the scale for 40 days... :)

Katie said...

Hey Jen! :]

Congrats on completing so many of your goals for the week!

Wow! You are giving up A LOT! Good for you!

You go girl!

April said...

That is a monstrous icicle!! My boys would make me leave it up too!!;)
Great list for lent...I could probably give up FB and my phone too...
Fasting is such a great way to connect with God....good for you..I am non-denominational so we don't really do anything for lent, but I fast twice a yr just to keep "in tune"

Great job on your workouts! Have you been seeing good results with the P90X?

Unknown said...

Thank you for the link to the donation page Jen :) Your Blog always makes me smile I LOVE LOVE the before and after picture, such a difference, you should be sooo proud of your hard work

RunningFromCancer said...

The list is very impressive - I especially love that you are adding the books - what a wonderful commitment to read more. I know that has really suffered for me. I was going to type "that there just isn't time" but in reality I just don't make the time. ;-(

Have a great night and don't walk under the icicle.

E. Tyler Rowan said...

It's interesting that so many people think Lent is just a Catholic thing! I am a Christian, attending an evangelical denomination (btw, I don't believe that denomination matters at all - only Jesus matters!), and every chuch I've attended in my adult life talks about Lent on the Sunday prior to Ash Wednesday. (In past years, though, I've just chosen to think, "Gee, that's nice" rather than considering what this season of preparation (for Christ's death and resurrection) means to me personally. All this thinking may have just inspired my post for today!

BTW, I really LOVE momof3's idea of giving a bag of stuff to charity each day for 40 days! So fitting with the concept of "almsgiving" for Lent. Thanks to her idea I am now considering how I can give. Maybe something different each Sunday until Easter?