John 8:32 "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." NIV

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Pavement... oh, sweet pavement!

Guess what I did this morning? I did something that I have not done in 7 days - I RAN!!!!! I was so happy to see pavement this morning with very few patches of ice. I didn't waste any time before I headed out the door.

I layered up on clothes (For some reason I chose to wear capri running pants. I have no idea what I was thinking. Perhaps having spent 7 days looking at snow filled streets, I thought that seeing pavement meant it was warmer - try 21 degrees. My ankles and lower legs were freezing until they went numb. In the hot shower afterwards, they regained their flesh color - they were bright red when I got home) and headed out. I wanted to take it slow, so I walked the first 5 minutes and then ran 3.5 miles in 35 minutes. Not bad, but not as good as I was doing before Snowmageddon. And I did negative splits, so that made me happy.

And the happiest part of my run was my neighbors. Did I mention I love my neighborhood? There are a lot of stay-at-home mothers and part-time working mothers, so we got to know each other through the MOMS Club and the tot-lot. Well, 3 passed me today while I ran. One stopped and chatted a bit vowing to join me come April, one waved, and the other shouted, "Good for you, Jen!" I felt like I was running a race and these WONDERFUL women were cheering me on. It was awesome.

As I headed home, I praised God for pavement. Not sure I would have thought of that a week ago, but it felt so precious to me. They are calling for 4 more inches of snow on Monday evening... but 4 inches seems like cake after 4 feet. I am not sure when the kids will go back to school, but we ALL need them too.

Here was a picture of a hilarious sight during my morning run. I had to stop to make sure it wasn't real. Too funny! Enjoy.

16 comments:

Emily said...

YAYYY! I took my first digger today. After 4 blizzard runs and no spills I fall WALKING home from the store.

RockStarTri said...

I went outside earlier today and still found snow and ice as the rule rather than the exception. There must still be pavement there somewhere.

Bad job on the fashion choice (capris, huh?) but good job on the choice and ability to get the run in :)

newrunner said...

Good job!!!! That pic is funny!

Kirsten said...

So happy that you can finally see pavement again! Sounds like an awesome run!!!

Paige (The Last Doughnut) said...

Sweet pavement is right! My morning run today was my first day running outside (and not on the treadmill) in over a week. It felt great to be outside again!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Great job getting out there! I went out this morning too and it was so nice to be outside!

That picture is too funny!

ajh said...

Great picture! Way not to let the storm get to you from whoever took the time to do it.

Jocelyn said...

Congrats for getting out there!! Yeah for running outside :D

Melissa said...

I am so jealous! Our main roads are fine for driving, but not running or walking and the residential streets are still awful. I almost got stuck today (in my car) back in a neighborhood and it hasn't snowed since Wednesday.

Anne said...

Great picture!
Good job on the run...oops on the capris :)

Tara said...

Have you changed your blog look lately? I really like it; it's beautiful with all of the snow! It's been soooo dry out here in Colorado. I'm definitely not jealous of you guys though! I'm so happy that you got to get out for your run; I could hear the joy in your writing and could just imagine the smile on your face!

Love that pic; too funny!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I would go stir crazy! sounds like you have some great neighbors! I love when people give encouragment when I am running.. that photo is funny!

Marjolein said...

Hahahaha! Hilarious picture!
Wonderful feeling isn't it? getting back to running after a dry spell?
I do luuuuuurv the snow we are having, but on the other hand I wish it would go away and I could get back to running at a regular pace and not just once in a while.

Sunshine Mama said...

I love those runs when everyone's waving and saying hi, makes it feel like spring is in the air or something!

I noticed pavement around here too.

Unknown said...

Yay for pavement running. Hope it doesn't get covered in snow again too soon!

teacherwoman said...

Nice job on getting out there and making the most of the cleaner roads! I can't wait until we start thawing out to enjoy an outdoor run... it's been months.