John 8:32 "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." NIV

Monday, January 11, 2010

Part 2

"The second thing I did to start living healthier was I began cardio workouts and weight training. I calculated that the gym was 4.2 miles from my house. I decided to start walking to the gym. After a couple of days, I started running as far as I could and then walked the rest of the way. Next thing I knew, I was running the entire way. At the end, I was running to the gym, working out for an hour and then running home. It felt great.

According to the Department of Health and Human Services: Exercise moderately for 150 minutes a week and strength-train twice a week and you'll reap substantial health benefits. But the government says that you can cut that 150 minutes per week in half if you amp it up with more vigorous exercise like running, or hiking uphill. Just be sure to keep every session at least 10 minutes long, and you're set with 75 minutes a week.

The CDC goes on to say: For additional and more extensive health benefits, adults should increase their aerobic physical activity to 300 minutes.

As for the strength training twice a week: I was blessed that the weight training was provide by the competition with personal trainers. My advice to you: is that it is worth every penny to invest in a little personal training with a good trainer. Most gyms provide a free Personal training session upon joining and if you don’t belong to a gym, find a private personal training. I think it is very important to get the best out of your workout and the main way is correct form and a personal trainer is there to help you with that. Even wii fit and other gaming devises now can assist you.

For me, doing an hour of cardio 5 times a week and strength training 2 to 3 times a week was what gave me the advantage over the other contestants. And before you complain about not having enough time to workout, you have to get creative. I would run to my daughter’s school 2.1 miles to volunteer. I put the kids on their bikes and ran after them – boy was that a task. I even ran to the grocery store. You can find the time, I promise."

(to be continued...)

0 comments: