In February, one of my favorite blog reads, caution: redhead running did an awesome review of KALYX (http://www.gokalyx.com/) sport's bras and deemed them: I.B.T.C. Approved! in her title. It got me hooked, but I had to read further to understand what I.B.T.C. Approved meant: Itty Bitty Titty Committee. I was slightly disappointed because I am not a card holding member of this committee - actually I was not even allowed in the door due to... um... my "girls". If you are a card holding member or your application is pending approval, check out her review here.
So, I decided to check out KALYX to see if they had sports bras for women who were not allowed admittance in the I.B.T.C. I was really impressed. Here are my thoughts and my thoughts alone:
First things first - I loved their website. It is obvious that it was designed by women for women. They believe: "... that when a woman exercises, balls are the only thing that should bounce..." What a great line and exactly how I feel!!!!!
On their About Us page, I got to learn a little more about the company. Key points that stuck out for me were:
- "A former NCAA-ALL American and All-ACC Team Member at Duke University, KALYX founder Kimberly Cayce competed on tours around the world as a professional golfer for 5 years. Throughout her athletic career, Cayce became increasingly frustrated by the lack of attractive, comfortable and supportive sports bras in the marketplace." This was cool because this was a true female athlete - not just a celebrity who attached their name to a product.
- "Cayce spent 3+ years researching breast bio-mechanics, studying the latest innovations in intimate apparel manufacturing, and, working closely with a team of textile developers in order to better understand emerging trends in nanotechnology and environmentally-friendly fabrics, all with with intention of developing a better sports bra." Over 3 years doing research - wow... that is dedication.
- "...Cayce worked hand-in-hand with a cross-functional team of experts to develop the innovative activity-specific, environmentally-friendly KALYX sports bra line of sports bras make from our signature K-Force Eco-Loving Fabric. Every KALYX sports bra incorporates our revolutionary ultra-lightweight technical f-FORCE fabric which offers incredible stretch, extraordinary durability, superior softness and unparalleled wicking capability." I LOVE that they used environmentally-friendly material.
- And their name KALYX "is derived from the Latin word Calyx, the part of a flower that protects the petals during the bud stage, and, the Greek word Kalos meaning beautiful. Indeed, the name KALYX captures the essence of our mission: to celebrate the strength and beauty of the female athlete." HOW COOL IS THAT?!?!
Here are some pics that my daughter took (please ignore my body rolls):
Before deciding to take this bra for a running spin, I wore it doing my P90X workout. My first thought was: "I do not feel like I am wearing a bra." And I meant that as a compliment. It did not tug at me the way my other bras did. It was light and airy and extremely comfortable - and this is not even why it was named the "Extremist". After the workout, no chafing, and better yet, I did not have deep marks in my skin from where the bra was - BONUS #2.
Also, according to the website, the "Extremist" is "designed for women who love to feel comforted and supported, Rebecca loves the extra layer of foam padding in this encapsulated bra.. This is a serious sports bra created for "Extreme Athletes."If you are a woman who likes to go fast and isn't afraid to fall down, this is the bra for you! Don't worry about the wipe-outs, KALYX is here to protect your precious assets!" Protect my assets indeed!
So, yesterday, I decided to take her for a spin. (I also wanted to watch my time, so I ran 3.1 miles in 29.52 pushing the jogging stroller and the baby!!! - yay, me). It felt great. My first thought was that it wasn't giving me enough support, but I think it is because I was so used to my other bras squeezing the life out of me. I kept running fast and I was pleased with its performance.
I would definitely recommend this bra - from a girl with considerable assets!!
And because the ladies at KALYX are Super awesome, I am giving one away to a lucky FOLLOWER! Here is what you need to do (besides being a follower of mine) - each comment equals an additional entry into the giveaway (and you do not have to do all 5 - at least let me know you are interested in the giveaway):
- Go to KALYX's website and tell me what you think and leave a comment.
- While on their website, tell me which bra you would like to try and why - leave comment
- Leave a comment and tell me what you are looking for in a sports bra (Support, color, etc)
- Bonus: tell me I don't really have body rolls!!!!! LOL!
- Bonus #2: Link this giveaway from your blog (or twitter, or FB) -Leave separate comment for each.
The giveaway ends on Sunday, March 7th at 11:59pm. The winner will be announced Monday.
Also, if you are super excited and cannot wait for the giveaway to end before getting your bra: enter Free20 at check out to receive a 20% discount (good up to 30 days).
And before you gasp at the price tag - I usually pay between $45 - $65 for my sports bra and I wasn't as happy as I was with KALYX!!! When you have considerable assets, those C9 bras at Target are better used as sling shots.